摘要:夸衣服、配饰、发型、拥有的物品,用Compliment,属于small talk。Praise用于夸奖成就、工作学习的质量等,通常是比较严肃认真的事情。
北大双语妈妈小雅和英美外教
10年专注亲子英语
夸衣服、配饰、发型、拥有的物品,用Compliment,属于small talk。Praise用于夸奖成就、工作学习的质量等,通常是比较严肃认真的事情。
(1) Compliment 恭维、夸;称赞
既可以用于随便恭维一下,也可以用于严肃认真的称赞。
A: Nothing deep. Mostly small talk.
没什么深入话题,就是在闲聊。
B: I'm sure.
是呢。
A: Took your advice. Complimented her shoes. That's 15 minutes of chat right there.
照你说的那样。夸了她的鞋子。一共聊了15分钟。
- House M.D. Season 1, Episode 20: Love Hurts
《豪斯医生》第一季 第20集:爱之疼痛
Max: How'd it go?
怎么样啊?
Caroline: Fine, she complimented my hair. She ordered a soup. I gave her my number. I gave her my number!
还行,她称赞了我头发,然后点了个汤。我把我电话告诉她了。我把我电话告诉她了!
- Broke Girls, Season 2, Episode 19: And the Temporary Distraction
《破产姐妹》第二季 第19集:临时消遣
Critic? Bah! We theatrical types should be complimented, not criticized.
评论员?呸!我们这些做戏剧的该受到赞扬,不是批评。
- A Series of Unfortunate Event, Season 3, Episode 6
《雷蒙·斯尼奇的不幸历险》第三季 第6集
(2) Praise 表扬;称赞
When asked how I was doing, I would shrug and say, "OK." I was praised for being strong. I was the master of being OK.
当有人问起我怎么样时,我会耸耸肩,说:“没事” 大家都表扬我很坚强,我是表面没事的专家。
- Susan David《情感勇气的礼物和力量》
来源:你和宝宝说英语一点号