摘要:I just want to say, I just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you for having me.
Wow, wow, wow.
哇,哇,哇。
You all made it Look at you.
你们都做到了,看看你们自己。
All of you made it this morning.
你们所有人今早都到了。
I don't know how you did it.
我不知道你们是怎么做到的。
I just want to say, I just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you for having me.
我只想说,感谢你们,感谢你们,感谢你们邀请我。
This is incredible to be with you today.
今天能和你们在一起真是太棒了。
And I just also thank you so much to President Bernhardt and the board of trustees and faculty members, and I will repeat what's been said.
我还要非常感谢伯纳哈特校长、校董会成员以及各位教职员工,我将重复刚才所说的话。
Happy Mother's Day and those very proud moms out there.
母亲节快乐,还有那些非常自豪的妈妈们。
I don't know if any of you know this, so I'm going to tell you.
我不知道你们中有没有人知道这件事,所以我来告诉你们。
See, I have always wanted to do this, and during Covid, I pitched myself for this job and I even put myself on tape.
你看,我一直都想做这件事,在疫情期间, 我主动争取了这个职位, 甚至还录了视频来展示自己。
I really did, and it's still on my Instagram.
我真的这么做了,而且现在还在我的Instagram上。
I did a speech in front of some scary looking dolls at my house, and I did it.
我在家里对着一些看起来很吓人的玩偶做了一次演讲,而且我做到了。
This was during the very center, the scariest part of lockdown.
这发生在封锁期间最核心、最令人恐惧的时刻。
And I ended up getting a note back and they said, we've decided to go in a different direction.
我收到了回复,他们说,我们决定朝另一个方向发展。
And I guess I just want to say, I guess it wasn't my year, but the second time was a charm.
我想说的是,或许那一年并不属于我,但第二次尝试却带来了好运。
And now I'm here.
而现在我在这里。
I'm speaking with you, and I just want you to know that I'm excited that I'm speaking with some very excited gay students.
我正在与你们交谈,只想告诉你们,我非常高兴能与一些非常兴奋的同性恋学生交流。
Yeah, some less excited hetero students and hopefully some very eligible widowers.
是的,一些不太兴奋的异性恋学生,还有一些非常符合条件的寡居男士。
I also, I want you to know that I'm so grateful to be back on campus in the Agganis Arena home of BU's men's hockey.
我也想让你知道,能回到波士顿大学男子冰球队的主场阿加尼斯体育馆,我感到非常感激。
I got to tell you, and I hope this isn't oversharing, but the faint smell of stale beer and even staler hockey pads is kind of doing something for me.
我得告诉你, 希望这不会显得我分享得太多,但那股淡淡的陈啤酒味和更陈旧的冰球护垫的味道有点让我心潮澎湃。
I want you all to know that I grew up just 40 miles down the road in Norwell, Massachusetts.
我想让大家知道,我就成长在距离这里仅40英里远的马萨诸塞州诺威尔镇。
I did.
我做了。
And if you had told the kids that I grew up with that I would once, one day I would have this opportunity like this, they would've laughed in your face.
如果你告诉那些和我一起长大的孩子们,有一天我会拥有这样的机会,他们会当面嘲笑你。
And I'm being honest, and to be fair, I kind of get it.
而且我是在说实话,说真的,我也可以理解这一点。
I was very, very strange kid, and I guess you had to be there, but I was really kind of odd, and I promise you, my parents will vouch for me and to all the parents and caregivers in the audience that are worried about their kids succeeding.
我是个非常、非常奇怪的孩子, 我想你们得亲眼见到才能明白,我确实有些古怪。 我向你们保证,我的父母可以作证。 同时,我也想对在座所有担心孩子未来能否成功的父母和看护者们说:
I just want to say don't, and I say that because when I was in the first grade, the last day of school was called field day.
我只是想说不要, 我这么说是因为在我上一年级的时候,最后一天被称为户外活动日。
And field day was a really big deal.
而田径日可是一件大事。
It was when grades one through six competed all together at Osborne Elementary, and my teacher took our class out to the obstacle course, and before we ran it, she just wanted us to know what we had to do.
那是我们奥斯本小学一年级到六年级一起比赛的时候,我的老师带我们班去障碍赛道,比赛前她只是想告诉我们该怎么做。
And she walked us all through the pointing out everything you have to go through the tires, you have to go under, you have to go under a log, you have to jump over this, you have to swing on the ropes.
她详细地向我们讲解了整个过程, 指出你们必须穿越轮胎阵,必须从下面钻过, 必须越过圆木,必须跳过障碍, 还必须在绳索上摆荡。
And then you have this last sprint to the end, and that's when you finish.
然后,你迎来了最后的冲刺阶段,那就是你完成目标的时刻。
You cross the finish line.
你冲过了终点线。
And when the gun went off, I ran like hell, I did.
当发令枪响起时,我拼了命地跑,真的。
And I was running alongside Kathy Merritt, the fastest girl in school.
我和凯西·梅里特并肩奔跑,她是学校里跑得最快的女孩。
And I crossed the finish line ahead of her, and I was so elated that I had won to me.
我率先冲过了终点线,心中无比欣喜,以为自己赢得了比赛。
It just meant that I was going to get the blue ribbon.
这只是意味着我将获得蓝丝带。
And then the teacher came up to me and told me that I didn't win the blue ribbon because I was disqualified.
然后老师走过来告诉我,我没有赢得蓝丝带,因为我被取消了资格。
And it turns out I had skipped all of the obstacles.
结果发现我跳过了所有的障碍物。
I just ran along the outside and it was just incredibly traumatizing because I don't even know if I've, the whole school started to shame me about this.
我沿着外侧跑, 这经历真的非常令人难堪, 因为我不确定自己是不是……整个学校都因此嘲笑我。
And I mean, this was 15 years ago, so it feels like yesterday.
我是说,这已经是15年前的事了,但感觉就像昨天一样。
But I carried a lot of shame with that obstacle course debacle.
但我对那次障碍赛的失败感到非常羞愧。
And it was mostly, it was my classmates.
而大多数时候,嘲笑我的都是我的同学们。
They teased me for so many years about it.
他们因此嘲笑了我很多年。
And they had pretty thick like Boston accents, which made it sound so much meaner.
他们的波士顿口音相当重,这让他们的语气听起来更加刻薄。
Like they were saying stuff like, good going, Jennifer, you're frigging idiot.
他们像是在说:“干得好,詹妮弗,你这个蠢货。”
And who taught you directions, Amelia Earhart and Jennifer, the clams in my chowder are smarter than you gold socks.
是谁教你们认路的? 是阿米莉亚·埃尔哈特和詹妮弗吗?我那碗杂烩里的蛤蜊都比你们那双金袜子聪明。
But you have to understand that I became completely paranoid as a little girl, and that I didn't understand.
但你们要知道, 我小时候变得极度偏执,因为我并不理解。
It was completely clear that I didn't understand what was going on, and I kind of didn't, was unaware.
我完全不明白当时发生了什么,确实有点懵,没意识到情况。
And I realized I was going to go the rest of my life as a joke.
我意识到自己余生都将是个笑柄。
I was so uncomfortable with myself.
我感到非常不自在。
I began to completely live in my head.
我开始完全活在自己的脑海里。
And from that moment on, and even as a child who was scared, I just couldn't comprehend the world somehow.
从那一刻起, 即使还是一个害怕的孩子,我也无法理解这个世界到底是怎么运作的。
And somehow I made the decision in this moment, and I remember it well, that you just have to have insane expectations and believe they're going to come true.
就在那一刻, 我不知怎么地做出了决定,而且我记得很清楚, 那就是你必须怀有不切实际的期望, 并坚信它们会实现。
And my mother had a magazine in the living room and it had Grace Kelly on the cover.
我妈妈在客厅有一本杂志,封面上是格蕾丝·凯利。
And inside there was a full photo spread of her lavish royal wedding and a story about how she became the queen of Monaco.
里面有她奢华皇家婚礼的完整照片集,以及一篇讲述她如何成为摩纳哥公国女王的故事。
And it was all in this moment that I realized that I wanted to be queen of Monaco.
就在那一刻,我意识到我想成为摩纳哥的王妃。
And I genuinely, I'm not kidding.
而且我真心的,我不是开玩笑。
I convinced myself that I had a chance at it, and I almost hypnotized myself into an impossible life.
我让自己相信我有机会实现它,甚至几乎自我催眠般地进入了一种不可能的生活。
I planted seed something so far beyond that, something realistic in my brain, and I expected something great would really happen to me.
我在心中种下了一些远超现实的种子,一些实际的想法,并期待着真正伟大的事情会发生在我身上。
And in retrospect, it was the one and only thing I really had going for me.
回想起来,那真的是我唯一拥有的优势。
And I had this thing inside of me telling me that I could achieve anything in this world, and there was just nothing to back it up.
我内心一直有个声音告诉我,我在这个世界上可以实现任何事情,但现实却没有任何东西能支持这一点。
I mean, I'm really talking like severe depression aside my fantasies.
我的意思是,我真的是在说严重的抑郁症,除了我的幻想之外。
Somehow they sort of gain momentum, and I sort of started to power my reality somehow.
不知怎么的,他们似乎逐渐有了动力,而我似乎也开始为自己的现实注入了某种力量。
And you can always probably relate to really wanting something.
你肯定能感同身受,非常渴望得到某样东西。
I bet everyone in this room really wants something.
我敢打赌,在座的各位都真心渴望着某些东西。
And maybe it's a writer here.
也许是一位作家。
You want to be a famous writer or just a decent writer or a great director or an actress who gets a job or two, whatever you want.
你想成为著名作家还是不错的作家, 或是伟大的导演, 又或者是个能接两三个活的演员,无论你想要什么。
But it's all okay.
但一切都好。
It is all totally okay.
这一切都完全没问题。
But when you find the thing that you want to do, I really want to highly recommend just frigging go for it.
但是当你找到自己真正想做的事情时,我非常强烈建议你干脆就去全力以赴。
When you really have to psych yourself up into bleeding absurd possibilities, and you have to believe that they are not absurd because there's nothing foolish or accidental, there's nothing foolish, there's nothing accidental about expecting the seemingly things are unattainable for yourself.
当你真的需要激励自己去追求那些看似荒谬的不可能时,你必须相信它们并不荒谬, 因为对自己而言,期望那些看似遥不可及的事物, 并不是愚蠢或偶然的, 这本身就没有什么愚蠢或偶然的。
And I don't care so much about what other people think right now, for so much of my life, I was in this constant state of just recovering from something that someone had said to me or had said about me.
我不在乎别人现在怎么想,因为我生命中的很长一段时间都在从别人的言论中恢复过来。
And that's what you get if you're overly sensitive.
如果你过于敏感,你就会得到这样的结果。
I'm sure a lot of you can relate to this, but there is a benefit to being overly sensitive.
我相信在座的许多人都深有同感,但过度敏感也有其好处。
And that is, I dunno, I think somehow you're better at stuff.
于是乎,不知怎的,我觉得你们在某些方面更出色了。
I don't know.
我不知道。
I mean, somehow you're taking in, it's such a hard hit when people say stuff and you see no one else is sort of reacting and you take it hard.
我是说,不知怎么的,当人们说出那些话时,你会深深感受到打击,尤其是看到其他人似乎都没什么反应时,这种感觉尤为强烈。
But I swear to God, you pay for, you benefit from the hit.
但我向上帝发誓,你得为此付出代价,你也会从这次打击中得到好处。
And I don't even regret that anymore.
我甚至不再为此感到遗憾。
And I just want you all to hear me say that.
我只是想让你们都听到我说这句话。
Don't listen to the people who mess up the real story that you've got going, because Emerson has ignited these seemingly unattainable possibilities for you that now can be your reality.
不要听那些搞乱你真实故事的人,因为爱默生学院已经点燃了这些看似无法实现的可能性, 现在它们可以成为你们的现实。
And it is your ability to convince yourself.
而这取决于你能否说服自己。
You really can make it because you really have to be your own champion.
你真的可以成功,因为你真的必须成为自己的冠军。
And so this is my advice, and that really was my advice, the main part of my advice.
因此,这就是我的建议,这确实是我的建议,也是我建议的主要部分。
But I do have one last little confession to make, and that was that the story I told you about the obstacle course.
但我还有一个小小的坦白,那就是我给你们讲的关于障碍赛跑的故事。
It was just a metaphor.
这只是一个比喻。
No, no, I'm joking.
不,不,我开玩笑的。
No, no, no, no.
不,不,不,不。
Wait.
等。
But before you turn to me, I just want to want you to know it really did happen.
但在你们转向我之前,我想告诉你们,这一切真的发生了。
Did it really did.
确实如此。
And it was super traumatizing.
这真是超级创伤性的经历。
But I've somehow lived through it and I brought it up to all of you today.
然而,我不知怎么地挺过了那段经历,今天我把它分享给你们所有人。
Not to rehash old wounds or anything, but rather so I could tell you that, I mean, it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks or says.
不是要翻旧账,而是想告诉你,其实别人怎么想、怎么说真的不重要。
I mean, when it comes to the obstacle course of your life, you have to find your own path.
我的意思是,当面对你人生道路上的障碍时,你必须找到属于自己的路径。
And you can't perfectly plan it out from the beginning.
你无法从一开始就完美地规划好一切。
And part of directing your life is just letting it unfold.
而掌控自己人生的一部分,就是顺其自然地让它发展。
And personally, the best thing that happened to me is that it didn't happen to me for a very long time.
就我个人而言,最幸运的是这件事没有在很长一段时间内发生在我身上。
And it didn't happen.
事情并未如愿发生。
It just didn't happen early on.
事情并没有在一开始就发生。
And I think that is what kept me going with my unrealistic belief in myself and what was possible.
我认为正是这种对自我和可能性的不切实际信念,支撑着我一路前行。
And despite all of the hideous rejection, it just went on.
尽管遭遇了种种令人难堪的拒绝,它依然继续着。
I mean, I got turned down.
我是说,我被拒绝了。
I would go in for an audition where my only line was to get into elevator and just saying, going up, and they didn't want me.
我会去试镜, 那次我唯一的台词就是走进电梯, 然后说“上楼”,但他们不要我。
But yeah, it's the incredible belief in yourself.
是的,这就是对自己不可思议的信念。
And it's even easy rejection.
这甚至只是轻微的拒绝。
I say, take the rejection.
我说,勇敢面对拒绝。
You can handle it.
你能搞定的。
And it looks like it's easy for me to say that now, but it was really hard.
现在说这话对我来说似乎很容易,但当时真的很难。
I have to say it was.
我得说,确实是这样。
And it still is hard.
这依然很难。
It really is.
真的就是这样。
I mean, like I told you before, it took me two tries to even get this gig, and that's okay.
我的意思是,就像我之前告诉过你们的,我尝试了两次才得到这份工作,但这没关系。
And it's okay to be sensitive and feel things, I just want to say feel things profoundly.
敏感和感受情绪是正常的,我只是想说,要深刻地去感受。
And you're so young and you really can handle it.
你们还很年轻,真的可以做到。
And I promise you, and I mean you may be leaving Emerson, but you are not leaving one another.
我向你们承诺,你们或许即将离开爱默生学院,但你们不会彼此分离。
I know we're living in very scary times, and I just want to say hold on to each other.
我知道我们现在正处在非常令人害怕的时期,我想说的是大家要互相扶持。
There are no great expectations to be realized without great people to realize with them.
没有伟大的人来共同实现,就不会有伟大的期望得以实现。
And I very strongly feel that way.
我对此深有同感。
I am so, I mean, just can't, it is hard not to cry.
我真是,我是说,真的忍不住,很难不流泪。
But I'm so unbelievably proud of all of you, and I cannot wait to see what's ahead for you.
但我对你们每一个人都感到无比自豪,迫不及待想看到你们的未来。
And lastly, I just want to say you have my permission to relax for a while now because.
最后,我只是想说,现在你们可以稍微放松一下了,这是我的允许。
You've.
你已经。
Earned it.
应得的
And yeah, so what I'm saying is give yourself the weekend or maybe the summer and until Labor Day, I mean Labor Day, it's basically Thanksgiving.
是的,我想说的是, 给自己一个周末, 或者可能是一个夏天, 直到劳动节假期——我是说劳动节,它基本上就是感恩节了。
And then after that it's practically the holidays.
之后不久就是假期了。
So you might wait until the new year to really lock in.
所以你可能会等到新年才真正确定下来。
Yeah.
是的。
The pure wins in life really call for celebration.
生活中真正纯粹的胜利才值得庆祝。
And this today, for all of you, is a pure win.
今天,对于你们所有人来说,这都是一场纯粹的胜利。
And I want to encourage you to stand up for what you believe in and for what Emerson stands for.
我希望鼓励你们坚持自己的信念,以及爱默生学院所代表的价值观。
And now I really just want to say to the great class of 2025, congratulations.
现在我真的只想对2025届的优秀毕业生们说一声,恭喜。
And as El Woods, my co-partner in crime would say, we did it.
正如我的犯罪伙伴埃尔·伍兹会说的,我们做到了。
来源:英语东