前NBA球星格兰特·希尔 2025杜克大学毕业演讲 1

360影视 动漫周边 2025-05-21 13:25 2

摘要:President Price, Fellow trustees, families and the Duke.

Thank you.

谢谢。

It is good to be home.

回到家里真好。

President Price, Fellow trustees, families and the Duke.

普赖斯校长,各位理事,家长们以及杜克大学的同学们。

Class of 2025.

2025届毕业生们。

Looking distinguished in your blue robes.

你们身着蓝色长袍,显得格外庄重。

Thank you for inviting me to share this magnificent and meaningful day with you.

感谢邀请我与你们共度这个精彩而有意义的一天。

To our entire Duke community.

致我们整个杜克大学社区。

Thank you for being a part of our yearlong centennial, celebrating how quickly we have grown from a regional school to a global powerhouse and university years.

感谢大家参与我们这一年一度的百年庆典,共同见证我们从一所地区性学府迅速崛起为全球教育重镇与学术殿堂的辉煌历程。

100 is the blink of an eye.

100只是转瞬之间。

Nothing gives me greater joy than being back on this campus.

没有什么比回到这个校园更让我感到快乐的了。

Of all the places I've played and all the jobs I've had.

在我所效力过的所有地方和担任过的所有职位中。

I am most proudest to be known as a Blue Devil.

我最自豪的是被称为蓝魔。

And class of 2025.

2025届的同学们。

I am honored to finally get to call you my fellow alumni, parents, partners, grandparents, siblings.

我很荣幸终于可以称你们为我的校友、父母、伴侣、祖父母和兄弟姐妹。

Thank you for everything you did to get your graduates to their commencement.

感谢你们为让毕业生们走到毕业典礼这一刻所做的一切。

It's your day too.

这也是你们的日子。

And that's especially true for all the moms.

尤其是对所有的妈妈们。

To those of you for whom Mother's Day is difficult.

对于那些觉得母亲节很难熬的你们。

I am with you.

我与你们同在。

We lost my mother, Janet Hill, a few years ago, and I loved her.

几年前,我们失去了我的母亲珍妮特·希尔,我非常爱她。

And she loved Duke.

她深爱着杜克大学。

My mom was a trustee for 15 years, even painting her nails blue before every board meeting.

我的母亲担任了15年的校董,每次董事会前都会特意将指甲涂成蓝色。

When she passed away, President Brodhead graciously said she was someone who was quick to rejoice in the talents of others, particularly the young.

当她去世时, 布罗德海德校长亲切地说她是那种乐于赞赏他人天赋的人,尤其是年轻人。

So graduates in her honor as well as in yours.

因此,毕业生们,让我们以她的荣誉,也以你们的荣誉,共同庆祝这一时刻。

I'm celebrating this Mother's Day by celebrating you.

我在这个母亲节通过庆祝你们来表达对母亲的感恩。

My mom was wise when I was in middle school.

我中学时妈妈很明智。

I didn't want to do my homework, and I asked why I even needed to go to college one day and she told me that college teaches you three things how to think, how to problem solve, and how to endure.

我不想做作业, 有天问妈妈为什么非得上大学, 她告诉我,大学教会你三件事:如何思考、如何解决问题以及如何坚持。

So many times her wisdom echoed just when I needed it.

她的智慧总是恰到好处地在我最需要的时候回响。

So let me take you back to one of those times to 1992 and the baseline of a basketball court.

所以让我带你回到1992年的一个时刻,那是篮球场底线上的一个瞬间。

It's a close game.

这是一场势均力敌的比赛。

There are just a few seconds left on the clock.

时间只剩下几秒钟了。

I've got the ball in my hands and I'm ready to heave the inbounds pass to my teammate, Christian Laettner.

我把球握在手中,准备将界外球传给我的队友克里斯蒂安·莱特纳。

I reach back.

我回溯过去。

I launch it nearly the length of the court and watch as Christian catches it out of bounds.

我几乎将球投到了全场的长度,看着克里斯蒂安在界外接住了球。

We lose the game.

我们输了比赛。

What?

什么?

Where did you think I was going with that?

你觉得我接下来要说什么?

It's a true story.

这是一个真实的故事。

A few weeks before what would become known as The Shot.

在后来被称为“传奇一投”的几周前。

We tried that same play against Wake Forest and we failed.

我们曾尝试同样的战术对阵维克森林大学,但失败了。

Wake had put a six foot ten defender on me, which took away my angle.

Wake Forest派了一名六英尺十英寸的防守球员来防我,这让我失去了进攻角度。

So to get it to Christian, I had to curve the pass around him.

所以为了让球绕过克里斯蒂安·莱特纳,我必须用弧线传球绕过他。

It didn't work.

行不通。

I remember two things that immediately followed that loss.

我记得那场失败之后发生的两件事。

First, even though it was just a regular season ACC game, the Wake fans stormed the court.

尽管这只是一场常规赛大西洋海岸联盟的比赛,韦克森林的球迷们还是冲进了球场。

And I remember thinking at Duke, we do that when we win championships.

我记得在杜克大学时,我们夺冠后就会这么做。

The second is the conversation Christian and I had in the locker room.

第二件事是克里斯蒂安和我赛后在更衣室里的对话。

We talked about what went wrong, and I told him that next time I'll make sure to get some distance between me and the defender.

我们讨论了哪里出了问题,我告诉他下次我会确保和防守队员之间保持一些距离。

You see, Christian and I didn't hang our heads.

你看,我和克里斯蒂安并没有垂头丧气。

We put our heads together.

我们集思广益。

We didn't blame the other team or each other.

我们没有责怪另一队或彼此。

We didn't pity ourselves.

我们没有自怜。

We picked each other up and made sure that we knew that if we ever did it again, we do it right.

我们互相打气,并确保我们知道如果再做一次的话,我们会做得正确。

And we couldn't have predicted that our next shot would come so soon, or with such high stakes in overtime at the Elite Eight.

而我们无法预测下一投会来得如此之快,或者在精英八强赛的加时赛中会有如此高的赌注。

And when it arrived, we were ready.

而当它到来时,我们已经准备好了。

Not because we were perfect the first time, or because we had thrown that play out and drawn up a new one, but because we learned to think, problem solve, and endure.

不是因为我们第一次就做得完美,或者因为我们已经排练过那个战术并制定了新方案,而是因为我们学会了思考、解决问题并坚持到底。

Mom was right.

妈妈说得对。

She respected academia, but revered pragmatism.

她尊重学术,但更崇实战。

You can live without Chaucer and you can live without calculus.

你可以没有乔叟,也可以没有微积分。

My mom would say when I was growing up.

我妈妈在我成长过程中常说。

But you cannot make it in this world without common sense.

但在这个世界上,没有常识你将寸步难行。

And when I moved away from home to come to Duke, she showed me that she always had my back.

当我离开家来到杜克大学时,她让我知道她永远都会支持我。

One Wednesday night, my freshman year.

大一那年的一个星期三晚上。

Long before cell phones existed, my dad called my dorm and asked to speak to me.

很久以前,手机还没有出现的时候,我爸爸打电话到我的宿舍,要求和我通话。

My roommate, Tony answered the phone and told him that I was on a date.

我的室友托尼接了电话,告诉他我正在约会。

That really made my dad angry.

这真的让我爸爸生气了。

He was livid to learn that I was out on a school night instead of studying.

他得知我在学习之夜外出而不是在家学习后,气得不行。

So the following day I got a call, this time from my mom, and she said, no matter where you are, the next time your father calls.

于是第二天我接到了一个电话, 这次是我妈妈打来的。她说, 无论你在哪里,下次你爸爸打电话来时,

Make sure Tony tells him you're at the library.

确保托尼告诉他你正在图书馆。

One of the best ways my mom shared her wisdom was in a set of principles she took time to write down.

我妈妈分享她的智慧的一个最好方式是写下了一套原则。

She called it her top ten list of how to achieve success.

她称之为实现成功的十大秘诀列表。

Don't worry, I'm not going to count down all ten.

别担心,我不会一一列举所有十点的。

But I will tell you how it ends.

但我会告诉你们它如何结束。

Number one, always listen to your mother.

第一条,永远听从你母亲的话。

Even though she's gone, I still do.

即使她已经离开了,我仍然还在。

I still hear her voice.

我仍能听见她的声音。

Class of 2025.

2025届毕业生们。

As much as today is about celebration.

尽管今天是关于庆祝的。

I know it doesn't come without trepidation.

我知道这并非没有忐忑。

Outside Duke's walls, the world has changed in so many ways over the last four years.

在杜克大学的围墙之外,这个世界在过去四年里发生了如此多的变化。

And here on campus, after an endless series of tests.

在校园里,经历了无数考试之后。

It feels like your reward is another one you've already faced.

感觉你的奖励只是另一个你已经面对过的东西。

No shortage of them.

不缺这些。

The exams to get into Duke, the exams to get out, even the daily Covid test you took freshman year racing to meet the deadline before your Duke card got shut off.

进入杜克大学的考试,毕业考试,甚至大一那年为了赶在杜克卡失效前完成截止日期而争分夺秒进行的每日新冠检测。

And don't get me started on the quizzes you had to pass to get a Covid test just for a chance to get into Cameron.

而且别提为了有机会进入卡梅伦室内体育馆,你们还得通过一系列关于新冠测试的测验。

And by the way, I understand that someone here successfully answered the trivia question.

顺便说一下,我知道这里有人成功回答了那个琐事问题。

What time of day was Cooper Flag born?

库珀旗帜是什么时候出生的?

Respect.

尊重

And now you face perhaps the most important test whether you'll continue to live the values you've developed here, even when the world around you often does it.

如今,你们将面临或许是人生中最重要的考验——是否能在周围世界常常背离这些价值观时,依然坚持你们在此所培养的信念。

How do you hold on to what matters when so much is changing?

在如此多事物不断变迁之际,如何坚守那些真正重要的东西?

I know you have some nerves about what it means to close this chapter.

我知道你们对即将结束这一篇章感到有些紧张。

I've heard from some of you about it directly, and I know there's some ambivalence about today.

我直接从你们中的一些人那里听说了,我知道大家对今天有些矛盾的情绪。

I get it.

我明白。

This is a special place, and you might be worried that once you leave this campus, you'll lose this sense of community.

这是一个特别的地方, 你们或许会担心, 一旦离开这个校园,就会失去这种社区感。

You're nervous about finding your way with without the people sitting around you right now.

你们现在可能会感到不安,担心在没有周围这些人的情况下找到自己的方向。

So let me assure you, what makes Duke special transcends time and place.

所以我要向你们保证,让杜克大学与众不同的是超越了时间和地点的东西。

Just wait until the first time you see someone wearing a Duke sweatshirt in an airport, and you'll see what I mean.

等着看吧, 第一次在机场看到有人穿着杜克大学的运动衫时,你就明白我的意思了。

My wife likes to remind me that this isn't normal.

我妻子喜欢提醒我,这不正常。

She tells me all the time, this isn't a college thing.

她经常告诉我,这不仅仅是一所大学的事情。

It's a Duke thing.

这是杜克大学的事。

And last summer, one of my Duke mentors was there for me at a moment.

而去年夏天,我的一位杜克大学导师在某个时刻帮助了我。

I needed him.

我需要他。

It was the end of the Olympics, right before the gold medal game against France, the host country.

这是奥运会的尾声,在对阵东道主法国的金牌赛之前。

The pressure was immense.

压力非常大。

We had under-performed at the World Cup the year before and barely made it out of the semifinals against Serbia.

我们在前一年的世界杯中表现不佳,仅仅在半决赛中险胜塞尔维亚才勉强出线。

I was worried about, you know, I was going to get banished to the island where they exiled Napoleon.

我担心会被流放到放逐拿破仑的那个岛上。

So I called Coach K. He was steady and insightful, as always.

于是我给K教练打了电话。他一如既往地沉稳且富有洞察力。

He broke down what happened in the last game, and he shared his own experiences dealing with pressure.

他分析了上一场比赛发生了什么,并分享了自己应对压力的经历。

He was comforting and encouraging.

他令人感到安慰并鼓舞人心。

And I realized even decades later, even an ocean away, he's still coaching me.

甚至几十年后,即使相隔重洋,他仍在指导我。

It was a testament to the strength of what starts here at Duke and stays between us, no matter how far apart we are in time or place.

这证明了在杜克大学开始并留在我们之间的深厚纽带,无论我们在时间或空间上相隔多远。

来源:英语东

相关推荐