摘要:A common question that I get from English learners quite a bit is, what do I do when I forget a word during an English conversatio
A common question that I get from English learners quite a bit is, what do I do when I forget a word during an English conversation?
我经常收到英语学习者的一个常见问题是,在英语对话中忘记了某个词时该怎么办?
So in this English lesson, I'm going to give you, five strategies, five tips, things you can do when you forget a word during an English conversation.
因此,在这堂英语课中,我将为你提供五种策略,五个小贴士,这些方法可以在你忘记英语对话中的某个单词时派上用场。
And this isn't one of the five, but I would say this.
这并不是五种策略之一,但我想说的是。
Don't panic.
别慌
You can plan for this situation and you can handle it very, very graciously.
你可以为此情况做好准备,并且可以非常非常优雅地处理它。
So in this English lesson, I'll teach you five little strategies, things that you can do when you forget an English word when you're having an English conversation.
在这堂英语课中,我将教你五种小策略,当你在英语对话中忘记某个单词时可以采取的应对措施。
Strategy Number one, if you can't think of a specific word, just become more general.
策略一,如果你想不起一个具体的词,就变得笼统一些。
What I mean is this.
我的意思是这个。
If you can't think of the word dog, use the word pet.
如果你想不起“狗”这个词,可以用“宠物”来代替。
So you're talking in general about animals that people keep, like cats or dogs.
所以你在一般性地谈论人们饲养的动物,比如猫或狗。
If you can't think of the word car or van, use the word vehicle, a, general term to talk about the things we drive to go places.
如果你一时想不起“汽车”或“厢式货车”这两个词,可以用“车辆”这个更通用的词汇来谈论我们用来出行的交通工具。
So you might say, I took my pet to the vet the other day, or you might say, I took my vehicle to the garage the other day.
所以你可能会说,我前几天带我的宠物去了兽医那里,或者你可能会说,我前几天把我的车辆送到了修车厂。
This would not sound abnormal in English.
这听起来在英语中并不异常。
So strategy number one, just speak in more general terms.
策略一,使用更通用的词汇进行表达。
Instead of saying cat, say pet.
вместо说猫,说宠物。 注:原文中的 "Instead of saying cat, say pet." 直接翻译应为“不说猫,说宠物”。但由于语言习惯,通常会表达为“代替说猫,说宠物”,此处按照直译进行了翻译。如果需要更自然的表达,可以调整为“可以用宠物来代替猫”。
Instead of saying car, say vehicle.
与其说“car”,不如说“vehicle”。
Strategy number two, use actions to replace the word that you can't remember.
策略二,用动作代替你记不住的词。
Let's say I can't remember the word for mustache.
比如说,我记不得“胡子”这个词了。
I could just say, I'm just trying to grow a little bit here, you know?
我就是想在这里有点进步,你知道吗?
So I didn't say the word mustache, but I indicated the area and I used the verb to grow.
所以我说的不是“胡子”这个词,而是指出了那个部位,并用了“生长”这个动词。
And I think the person will know that I'm talking about mustache.
我想对方会明白我指的是胡子。
I could say, the other day I just went for a little.
我可以说,前几天我刚去了一趟。
And I could do this.
我可以做到这一点。
And I think you know that I mean haircut.
我知道你明白我说的是理发。
So if I can't remember the word for haircut, I can use some actions to replace the word in the sentence or in the conversation.
所以,如果我想不起“理发”这个词,我可以用一些动作来替代句子或对话中的这个词。
So strategy number two, use actions.
所以第二个策略,使用动作。
Oh, I did just there, didn't I?
哦,我刚才就是这样做的,不是吗?
Number two, use actions if you can, instead of the word that you can't remember.
第二,如果可以的话,用动作代替你记不起来的那个词。
Strategy number three, compare and contrast the word you don't know to words you do know.
第三种策略,把你不知道的词与你知道的词进行比较和对比。
And it'll be like a little game because you're trying to get the other person to say the word.
这会像一个小游戏,因为你试图让对方说出那个词。
So let's say you can't remember the word for van.
假设你忘记了“厢式货车”这个词。
You could say, the other day I was driving my, it's not a car, it's bigger than a car.
你说,那天我开着我的,它不是轿车,比轿车大。
But it's not a truck, and you can put a lot of passengers in it.
但这不是卡车,而且你可以载很多乘客。
And then the other person might say, oh, your van.
然后另一个人可能会说,哦,你的厢式货车。
You would say, yes, my van.
你可以说:“是的,我的厢式货车。”
Let's say you can't remember the word for cow.
假设你忘记了“牛”这个词。
You could say, oh, the other day I went to a farm and I saw, an animal.
你可以说:“哦,前几天我去了一个农场,看到了一种动物。”
It's bigger than a goat.
它比山羊大。
But it's not a horse.
但它不是马。
You don't ride it.
你不是骑它的。
It's like, about the same size as a horse.
它的大小,差不多像一匹马那样。
And the other person might say, oh, a cow.
对方可能会说:“哦,是头牛。”
And you would say, yes, I went to a farm and I saw a cow.
你会说,是的,我去过农场,看到了一头牛。
So this actually can be a great strategy.
这其实是一个非常有效的策略。
When you're having a conversation.
当你在进行对话时。
The person is probably quite eager to help you think of the word that you have forgotten.
这个人很可能非常乐意帮你想起你忘了的那个词。
So compare, say what it's like, and contrast, say what it's not like.
所以进行比较,说说它像什么,进行对比,说说它不像什么。
And hopefully the person you're talking to will tell you what word it is.
希望与你交谈的人会告诉你那个词是什么。
The fourth thing you can do is just ask.
你可以做的第四件事就是直接问。
If you're having an English conversation and you can't remember a word, you can just ask the person you're talking to what the word is.
如果你在用英语对话时忘记了某个词,可以直接问对方这个词是什么。
Let's say you were saying, I was running late the other day because I couldn't find my.
比如说你正在说,那天我迟到是因为我找不到我的。
What do you call the thing you use to cut your nails?
你把剪指甲的东西叫什么?
Or what's the word for the thing you use to cut your nails?
或者那个用来剪指甲的东西叫什么来着?
And I just think the other person will say nail clippers.
而且我想对方会说是指甲剪。
And it will just be a, completely normal part of the conversation.
这将只是对话中完全正常的一部分。
They won't think badly of you because you forgot the word, because they're interested in the story that you are telling.
他们不会因为你忘记了那个词而对你有不好的看法,因为他们对你讲述的故事感兴趣。
So the fourth thing you can do, just ask.
所以第四种方法,就是直接问。
You can say things like, what do you call the thing?
你可以说:“你们管那个叫什么?”
Or what, what's the word for the thing?
或者,那个词怎么说?
And then describe what you use the word for.
然后描述你用这个词做什么。
And notice while I was doing that, I was also showing the action.
注意,在我说这些的时候,我也展示了相应的动作。
I think that helps in the flow of the conversation.
我认为这有助于对话的流畅进行。
So, number four, just ask.
那么,第四点,直接询问。
Strategy number five, change the topic.
第五种策略,改变话题。
If you're having an English conversation and the person starts talking about a science fiction movie that they just saw and you don't know a lot of English vocabulary, to use in that conversation, change the topic.
如果你正在进行英语对话,而对方开始谈论他们刚看的一部科幻电影,而你在这方面的英语词汇量不足,不妨换个话题。
Talk about a movie that you saw.
谈论一部你看过的电影。
Maybe you like romantic movies, and maybe you know a lot of vocabulary about love and dating and that kind of thing, change the topic, start talking about the movie you like, and use the words that you do know.
或许你喜欢浪漫电影,对爱情和约会之类的词汇了如指掌,这时不妨转换话题,开始聊聊你喜欢的电影,并运用你熟悉的词汇来展开对话。
I know in that way you're avoiding part of the conversation, but I still think it's a great strategy.
我知道这样你会避开对话的一部分,但我仍然认为这是一个很好的策略。
But make sure you also do this when you go home that night.
但是确保那天晚上回家的时候你也这么做。
Do some research and learn some vocabulary so if you're in that type of conversation again, you are able to talk about it in a meaningful way.
做一些研究,学习一些词汇,这样如果你再次参与这类对话,就能有意义地谈论这个话题了。
Well, hey, thank you so much for watching this English lesson about five strategies, five tips that you can use if you're having an English conversation and you suddenly forget a word.
好吧,谢谢大家观看这节关于五个策略的英语课程,这些策略可以在你进行英语对话时突然忘记一个词的情况下使用。
I hope they are helpful and I hope they help you in your next English conversation.
希望这些建议对你有所帮助,并能在你下次的英语对话中派上用场。
If this is your first time here, don't forget to click that red subscribe button over there.
如果你是第一次来到这里,别忘了点击那边的红色订阅按钮。
Give me a thumbs up.
给我点个赞吧。
Consider becoming a member.
考虑成为会员。
There are privileges if you become a member.
成为会员后,你将享有某些特权。
There is a join button or a subscribe plus somewhere and leave a comment.
I love to read them.
我爱读它们。
Have a great week.
祝您一周愉快。
I'll see you next week with another English lesson.
我下周见你时会带来另一节英语课。
Bye.
再见。
来源:英语东