英语经典精华(10)Thoughts in a Gravreyard 墓园沉思

摘要:Dear friends,Hello everyone,I am the righteous path.

各位朋友,大家好,我是正道。

Dear friends,Hello everyone,I am the righteous path.

今天学习经典,约瑟夫·艾迪生的作品。

Today we are studying classics,Works of Joseph Addison.

艾迪生和斯蒂尔创办了《闲谈者》《旁观者》。

Edison and Steele founfed'The Talker''bystander'.

约瑟夫·艾迪生

When I look upon the tombs of the great,

当我瞻仰伟大的坟墓时,

every emotion of envy dies in me;

心中所有的嫉妒顿时烟消云散;

when I read the epitaphs of the beautiful,

当我读到美人的悼文时,

every inordinate desire goes out;

所有的非分之想霎时消失殆尽;

when I meet with the grief of parents upon a tombstone,

当我遇见在墓碑旁悲痛欲绝的父母亲时,

my heart melts with compassion;

我的心中充满了同情;

when I see the tomb of the parents themselves,

当我看到那些父母亲自己的坟墓时,

I consider the vanity of grieving for those whom we must quickly follow :

我认为为那些我们必须迅速追随的人悲伤是虚荣的:

when I see kongs Iying by those who deposed them,

当看到国王与那些将他们废黜的人躺在一起时,

when I consider rival wits placed side by side,

当我想到那些争斗一生的智者并排躺在一起时,

or the holy men that divided the world with their contests and disputes,

或者是那些通过竞争和争执将世界分裂的圣人们被后人并排葬在一起时,

I reflect with sorrow and astonishment on the little competitions,

当我想到那些争斗一生的智者,

factions,and debates of mankond.

人类的派系和争论,

When I read the several dates of the tombs,

当我看到一些坟墓上的日期,

of some that died the yesterday,

有的死于昨日,

and some six hundred years ago,

而有的死于大约六百年前,

I consider that great day when we shall all of us be contemporaries,

有那么一天我们终会并排出现在世人面前,

and make our appearance together.

让我们一起出现。

Excerpt From Westminster Abbey

摘自《威斯敏斯特教堂》

By Joseph Addison

约瑟夫·艾迪生

生于1672年,逝世于1719年,终年47岁。

Born in 1672,Passed away in 1719,At the ago of 47.

英国散文家、诗人、剧作家及政治家。

British essayists,poet,Playwright and politician.

来源:正道旅游

相关推荐