摘要:Have you ever seen a video that says, don't say dumb, say imbecilic?
Have you ever seen a video that says, don't say dumb, say imbecilic?
您是否曾经看过这样的视频:不要说愚蠢,要说低能?
Don't say bad, say deplorable.
不要说不好,要说可悲。
These videos tell you that you can upgrade your English, pass an exam, or even prove your own English level by using the vocabulary they suggest.
这些视频告诉你,你可以通过使用他们建议的词汇来提高你的英语水平, 通过考试, 甚至证明你自己的英语水平。
Well, here's one simple tip to improve your English today... Stop watching those videos.
好吧,这里有一个简单的技巧可以提高你的英语水平......别再看那些视频了。
No, really.
不,真的。
Stop.
停止。
Mini English Lessons The problem with those videos is that they don't give you any context, so you don't actually learn how to use that vocabulary.
迷你英语课这些视频的问题在于它们没有提供任何背景,所以你实际上并没有学会如何使用这些词汇。
Do you wonder why you've never heard the word imbecilic?
您是否想知道为什么您从未听过“愚蠢”这个词?
Well, it's because it's almost never used.
嗯,因为它几乎从来没有被使用过。
I honestly think this video might be the first time I've ever said it.
说实话,我认为这个视频可能是我第一次说这句话。
These videos also don't tell you the strength of different adjectives.
这些视频也没有告诉您不同形容词的强度。
Why do people say bad so much more than deplorable?
为什么人们说“bad”的次数比说“deplable”的次数多得多?
Well, it's because deplorable means shockingly bad or completely unacceptable, so we save it for really serious situations.
嗯,这是因为“deplorable” 的意思是“极其糟糕” 或“完全不可接受”,所以我们把它留给真正严重的情况。
You're most likely to hear it in a news report.
您最有可能在新闻报道中听到它。
After the hurricane, people were left living in deplorable conditions.
飓风过后,人们的生活条件极其恶劣。
It's just too strong to use it every day.
它的功效太强,不适合每天使用。
But, of course, these videos don't tell you that.
但当然,这些视频不会告诉你这一点。
If you believe those videos, you'll end up having conversations like this.
如果你相信这些视频,你最终就会进行这样的对话。
I'm just gonna go and get a sandwich for lunch.
我要去买个三明治当午餐。
Fantabulous!
太棒了!
!
!
!
!
Okay... Maybe you think your English sounds more advanced, but actually, the opposite is true.
好吧...也许你认为你的英语听起来更高级,但事实上,事实恰恰相反。
It sounds like you don't know how to use these words.
听起来你不知道如何使用这些词。
And if you use really strong adjectives, like fantabulous all the time, then they lose their meaning.
如果你一直使用非常强烈的形容词,比如“fantabulous” , 那么它们就会失去意义。
If everything is fantabulous, then nothing is.
如果一切都很美好,那就什么都不是了。
If all that is true, how do you build your vocabulary?
如果这些都是真的,那么您如何建立自己的词汇量呢?
Don't just learn words and phrases on their own.
不要仅仅自己学习单词和短语。
Learn them in meaningful fixed expressions or sentences.
通过有意义的固定表达或句子来学习它们。
That way, you're not just learning the vocabulary.
这样,你不仅仅是学习词汇。
You're learning how to use it.
您正在学习如何使用它。
The next time that you watch a film, read a book, or listen to a podcast in English, write down five pieces of vocabulary that you want to start using.
下次您用英语看电影、读书或听播客时,写下五个您想要开始使用的词汇。
Choose vocabulary that will be useful in your own life.
选择对您自己的生活有用的词汇。
For example, if you're a student, you could watch a film that takes place at a university and write down five words or phrases about student life.
例如,如果你是一名学生,你可以观看一部以大学为背景的电影,并写下五个关于学生生活的单词或短语。
Learn them, practise them, and use them when you have the chance.
学习它们、练习它们并在有机会时使用它们。
I promise you'll find plenty of opportunities to use that vocabulary, unlike imbecilic, which is the only thing about this video that you should definitely forget.
我保证, 你会发现很多机会使用这些词汇,不像愚蠢那样, 这是这个视频中你唯一应该忘记的东西。
来源:英语东