摘要:I see you, with your spunky business casual, with your glasses, and tote bags that say "I absolutely donate to public radio." Uh-h
Hi, everybody.
大家好。
My name is Pattie Gonia, and I am a drag queen.
我叫Pattie Gonia,是一名变装皇后。
But I am not the only person here in drag today.
但今天在这里,我不是唯 一一 个变装的人。
You are in drag too.
你也穿了变装。
Yes, you are in TED drag.
是的,你也在模仿TED的风格。
I see you, with your spunky business casual, with your glasses, and tote bags that say "I absolutely donate to public radio." Uh-huh.
我注意到你们, 穿着充满活力的商务休闲装,戴着眼镜,手提包上还写着“我绝对会捐助公共广播” 。 嗯哼。
Oh my gosh, I even see that some of you are wearing my merch.
哦我的天,我还看到你们中有些人穿了我的 merchandise(商品)。
Yes, Patagonia vests are indeed very TED drag.
是的,巴塔哥尼亚背心确实非常符合TED风格。
(Laughter) You can't ask a drag queen to give a TED Talk and not roast y'all a little.
(笑声)你不能请一位变装皇后来做TED演讲,却不让她稍微调侃一下大家。
But enough about you.
但够了关于你的话题。
How about me and my drag?
我和我的装扮如何?
Can we get a little commotion for the dress?
能为这件礼服制造点小轰动吗?
(Cheers and applause) Thank you.
(欢呼与掌声)谢谢大家。
Thank you, thank you.
谢谢,谢谢大家。
It is made of upcycled and thrifted shower curtains and pink flamingo pool floaties.
它由升级再造的二手浴帘和粉色火烈鸟泳池浮床制成。
Because life in plastic ... It's not fantastic.
因为塑料生活……并不美妙。
And climate change is a drag.
气候变化真让人扫兴。
You see what I did there?
你明白我的意思了吗?
(Laughter) But drag is about far more than what we wear to fit in or stand out.
(笑声)但变装的意义远不止于我们穿着打扮以融入或脱颖而出。
Drag holds something more universal and more powerful for all of us, because drag is an invitation to build new futures through creativity and diversity and joy, and the combination of these things.
变装对我们每个人而言, 蕴含着更为普遍且强大的意义,因为变装是邀请我们通过创造力、多样性和喜悦,以及这些元素的结合, 去构建新的未来。
Drag and climate, they seem ridiculous, right?
拖曳表演和气候问题,它们看起来很荒谬,对吧?
Well, I thought so too.
嗯,我也这么认为。
But then, six years ago, on a backpacking trip in the middle of my quarter-life crisis, lost in the forest, I put on a pair of six-inch high-heeled boots and strutted the trails for the first time as Pattie Gonia.
然而,六年前,在我二十多岁的人生危机中期, 一次背包旅行中,迷失在森林里, 我第一次穿上了一双六英寸高的高跟鞋, 以Pattie Gonia的身份自信地走上了小径。
(Cheers and applause) Thank you so much.
(欢呼与掌声)非常感谢。
My ankles hurt.
我的脚踝疼。
(Laughter) But if you would have told me then that six years later, I would have a community of more than a million outdoor and climate lovers, and I'd be getting thousands of queer people outside every year to connect to this planet, I would have told you that you are crazy.
(笑声)但若当时有人告诉我,六年后我将拥有一个超过百万的户外与气候爱好者社群,并且每年能带领成千上万的酷儿们走出户外, 与这颗星球建立联系,我肯定会说你疯了。 然而,事实就是如此。
But here we are.
但我们确实做到了。
Drag took me in the middle of my flop era and showed me how I could envision a new future and then live into it.
变装在我事业低谷时接纳了我,并教会我如何构想一个崭新的未来,然后去实现它。
And guess what else is going through a flop era and needs to envision a new future and then live into it.
再猜猜看,还有什么正处于低谷时期,需要构想一个新未来并付诸实践的呢?
Anybody?
任何人?
The Earth, yes.
地球,是的。
Earth, girl.
地球,女孩。
You are in your flop era, and the very thing that I think might get Earth out of this flop era ... the art form of drag.
你正处在低谷期, 而我认为能助地球走出这一低谷的,正是变装艺术这一形式。
So, have I piqued your interest?
那么,我是否引起了你的兴趣呢?
Would you like to hear and learn what the climate movement might learn from the art form of drag?
你想听听并了解气候运动可以从变装艺术中学到什么吗?
Would you?
你会吗?
(Cheers and applause) That is the spirit, my nerds.
(欢呼和掌声)这就是精神,我的小伙伴们。
OK, class, let's start here.
好的,同学们,我们就从这里开始吧。
People often think that as drag performers, we are hiding who we are.
人们常以为,作为变装表演者,我们是在隐藏真实的自己。
But, babe, the one time I can't hide is when I look like this.
但是,宝贝,唯一一次我无法隐藏自己的时候,就是当我这副模样出现的时候。
(Laughter) Drag doesn't hide who we are.
(笑声)变装并不掩饰我们的身份,它揭示了我们的本质。
Drag reveals who we are.
变装揭示了我们的真实自我。
And drag welcomes our diversity.
变装拥抱我们的多样性。
And more than that, drag has given me a community of people that I feel safe enough around to be my whole self.
不仅如此,变装还让我拥有了一个让我感到足够安全、能够完全做自己的群体。
And that is where the magic happens.
那就是奇迹发生的地方。
That's where I can bring my creativity, and everything that I am, to the table.
那就是我可以把我所有的创造力和一切带到桌面上的地方。
Now look, am I suggesting that you put on as much makeup as me?
现在看看,我是在建议你化跟我一样浓的妆吗?
No, you could never.
不,你可做不到。
(Laughter) But I am saying that our creativity is critical in this climate dilemma.
(笑声)但我想强调的是,在这场气候危机中,我们的创造力至关重要。
And I'm also saying that diversity isn't a hindrance to this work.
而且我也在说,多样性并不会妨碍这项工作。
It's the very key to our best solutions.
这正是我们最佳解决方案的关键所在。
I will never forget, right after Pattie was born, when I met a very famous environmentalist, who said to me that I should just leave all the gay stuff and high heels at the door, and get to work for climate.
我永远不会忘记, 就在帕蒂出生后不久,我遇到了一位非常著名的环保主义者,他对我说, 我应该把所有关于同性恋的东西和高跟鞋都留在门外,然后专心为气候问题工作。
Well, thank you so much, sir, because six years later, all that gay stuff and high heels has raised 2.5 million dollars for climate action.
非常感谢您, 先生,因为六年之后,那些所谓的“同性恋玩意儿” 和高跟鞋已经为气候行动筹集了250万美元。
(欢呼与掌声)非常感谢。
Toss ... toss.
抛...抛。
(Laughter) And y'all, I want to be real with you.
(笑声) 各位,我想对你们坦诚相待。
There are so many people right now, in this climate movement who felt like I did.
现在有许多人,就像我一样,在这个气候运动中感到迷茫。
Who don't feel like they can be themselves and therefore are holding back their best ideas.
他们感到无法做自己,因此未能充分展现其最佳创意。
And I want a climate movement rooted in fertile soil that supports all of our growth.
我渴望一个植根于肥沃土壤的气候运动,它能够支撑我们所有人的成长。
And as my mentor José González loves to ask, who here has heard the phrase "This team is operating like a well-oiled machine"?
就像我的导师何塞·冈萨雷斯喜欢问的那样,在座的有谁听过这句话:“这个团队运作得像一台润滑良好的机器” ?
Anybody?
任何人?
OK, so all of us.
好的,那就是我们所有人。
What if instead I said, "Wow, this group is thriving like a well-nurtured meadow"?
哇,这个团队就像一片被精心培育的草地一样蓬勃发展?
How different does that feel?
那种感觉有何不同?
Ooh, aah, uh-huh, hits different.
哦,啊,嗯哼,感觉就是不一样。
Maybe that's because we're not apart from nature.
或许那是因为我们并未与自然分离。
We are nature, and we are a meadow, not a machine.
我们是自然的一部分,我们是草原,而非机器。
And a meadow knows that its diversity is its strength.
而一片草地懂得,其多样性正是它的力量所在。
Every single piece of the meadow supports the collective whole.
草原上的每一寸土地都支撑着整体。
OK, class, we are doing great.
好的,同学们,我们表现得非常棒。
A little check-in.
一个小检查。
Thumbs up in the audience.
观众中响起一片赞许声。
We feeling good?
我们感觉良好吗?
OK, if you're ready for a little history lesson ... or should I say herstory?
好的,如果你们准备好上一堂小小的历史课……或者我该说是“她的历史”课?
Let me hear you say "Yes, mommy." Audience: Yes, mommy.
让我听到你们说“是的,妈妈。”观众:是的,妈妈。
Pattie Gonia: TED, you're being silly today, I like it.
帕蒂·戈尼亚:TED,你今天真逗,我喜欢。
(Laughs) Since the birth of the queer rights movement, drag performers and trans people have always been on the forefront of organizing and protesting, and community building.
(笑)自从 LGBTQ+ 权利运动诞生以来,变装表演者和跨性别者一直站在组织、抗议和社区建设的最前线。
When queer people were beaten in their homes, put in jail just for existing, when we had the statistics and the facts on the millions of queer people dying of AIDS, yet no one was joining our fight, drag performers turned pain into joy, and in doing so, welcomed millions more people to fight with us.
当酷儿群体在家中遭受殴打,仅仅因为存在就被投入监狱, 当我们掌握着数百万酷儿因艾滋病逝去的统计数据和事实,却无人加入我们的抗争时, 变装表演者将痛苦转化为欢乐,以此吸引了数百万人与我们并肩作战。
Because the problem in the climate movement isn't just the abundance of carbon, it is the lack of joy.
气候运动中的问题不仅在于碳排放的泛滥,更在于欢乐的匮乏。
The scientific facts, the doom and gloom, they scare people, they wake them up.
科学事实和悲观预测固然能吓到人,唤醒他们的警觉,但真正能激励人们每天起床采取更多行动的,是那份喜悦。
But joy is what will get people out of bed every day to take more action.
但正是这份喜悦,能让人每天从床上跃起,付诸更多行动。
And if there's one thing I have learned from the art form of drag, it's that you can take fighting for something seriously without taking yourself too seriously.
而从变装艺术这一形式中,我学到了一点:你可以认真地为某事奋斗,却不必过于严肃地对待自己。
Joy is a serious way to take action.
快乐是一种严肃的行动方式。
Joy is strategic, because joy inspires momentum.
喜悦是有策略的,因为喜悦能激发动力。
And joy is an inside job.
而快乐是一种内在的工作。
So what can we do to create joy?
那么,我们该如何创造快乐呢?
We can get outside and encourage other people to come outside with us and fall in love with nature, because we fight for what we love.
我们可以走出户外, 并鼓励他人与我们一同外出, 爱上大自然,因为我们为所爱而战。
In other words, if you feel dead inside, get the hell outside.
换句话说,如果你内心感到枯竭,那就赶紧滚出去(亲近自然)。
(Laughter) We can also connect people in this movement.
(笑声)我们也可以在这个运动中将人们联系起来。
Because we all know that silos suck and there is joy in collaboration, and so many ... emails.
因为我们大家都知道,各自为政糟透了,合作带来快乐,还有那数不清的……邮件。
(Laughter) You're laughing because it's true.
(笑声)你们笑是因为事实确实如此。
(Laughter) And we can also celebrate climate movement.
(笑声)我们也可以庆祝气候运动。
We have to party, because celebrating and acknowledging all the work that we have done will inspire the next steps of action.
我们必须庆祝,因为庆祝并认可我们所完成的一切工作,将激励我们迈出下一步行动。
Joy provides an unbelievable opportunity to make the climate movement irresistible.
喜悦赋予了难以置信的契机,使气候运动变得势不可挡。
Do not underestimate the power of joy.
切勿低估欢乐的力量。
We deserve more than doom and gloom, because this is the only planet with a Beyoncé on it.
我们值得拥有比悲观更美好的东西,因为这是唯一拥有碧昂斯(Beyoncé)的星球。
(Laughter) [*we couldn't get Beyoncé to sign the release form, so this will have to do] Facts are facts, TED.
(笑声)[*我们没能请到碧昂斯签署发布文件,所以只能这样了] 事实就是事实,TED。
(Laughter) So, class, at the end of the day, what I am saying, what drag can teach us, is that creativity and diversity and joy are tools to build the best climate movement we can.
(笑声)所以, 同学们,归根结底,我的意思是,变装可以教会我们的是,创造力、多样性和快乐是构建我们所能拥有的最佳气候运动的工具。
And let's not forget -- let me pull this little thing out -- that climate change ... is not a drag.
我们不要忘记——让我把这个小点提出来——气候变化……并不是个负担。这样好多了。
There, that's better.
这样就好多了。
Thank you so much, my nerds.
非常感谢,我的书呆子们。
(欢呼与掌声)谢谢大家。
来源:英语东