摘要:Well, hello, and welcome to this English lesson where I'm going to teach you some words you can use to talk about food.
Well, hello, and welcome to this English lesson where I'm going to teach you some words you can use to talk about food.
大家好,欢迎来到这节英语课,我将教你们一些可以用来谈论食物的词汇。
And I'll teach you those words while trying some very common Canadian snacks.
我会一边教你们这些单词,一边品尝一些非常常见的加拿大小吃。
Now, these are not all invented in Canada.
现在,这些并非都是加拿大发明的。
These are simply snacks that we tend to eat a lot, at least in my part of Canada.
这些只是我们经常吃的零食,至少在我所在的加拿大是这样。
So welcome to this English lesson about describing food.
欢迎来到这节关于描述食物的英语课。
I think it will be a really yummy lesson, and I think you'll learn a lot.
我认为这将是一次非常有趣的教训,而且我认为你会学到很多东西。
So the first snack we're going to look at is called Smarties.
我们要看的第一种零食是 Smarties。
Smarties are small, bite sized, oops, pieces of chocolate.
Smarties 很小, 一口大小, 哦,是巧克力块。
Actually, they're chocolate in the center, and they have a candy coating.
实际上,它们的中心是巧克力,外面有一层糖果涂层。
If I bite into one, you can see the center is chocolate and the outside is candy.
如果我咬一口,你会看到中间是巧克力,外面是糖果。
They're also quite colorful, which makes them very popular with young children.
而且它们的颜色非常鲜艳,很受小孩子的欢迎。
And I think that they were actually invented in the UK, but they're definitely very popular here in Canada.
我认为它们实际上是在英国发明的,但在加拿大非常受欢迎。
So Smarties, a Sweet chocolate snack that's really yummy.
Smarties 是一种非常美味的巧克力甜点。
Really good with ice cream, by the way.
顺便说一句,和冰淇淋一起吃真的很好。
Actually, just really good all the time, if you like chocolate.
事实上,如果你喜欢巧克力,那么它一直都是很好吃的。
These are called Nanaimo Bars, and they were actually invented in Canada.
这些被称为纳奈莫条,实际上是在加拿大发明的。
They were invented in Nanaimo, BC.
它们是在不列颠哥伦比亚省纳奈莫市发明的。
That stands for British Columbia, one of our provinces.
它代表不列颠哥伦比亚省,我们的一个省。
They are really yummy.
它们确实很美味。
Normally, you would make these at home.
通常情况下,您可以在家里制作这些。
I bought these at a store, though.
不过,我是在商店买的这些。
They are delicious.
它们很美味。
They are another sweet snack.
它们是另一种甜食。
They have chocolate and coconut on the bottom, a yummy sweet custard in the middle, and then the top is chocolate.
底部是巧克力和椰子,中间是美味的甜奶油,顶部是巧克力。
Mmm.
嗯。
Very good.
非常好。
Jen loves these.
Jen 很喜欢这些。
I'm sure she's gonna eat one later.
我确信她待会儿会吃一个。
So it's sweet, but it's also salty on the bottom.
所以它是甜的,但底部也是咸的。
It's a nice mixture of the two, and it's certainly a delicious thing to eat.
这是两者的完美结合,而且确实很美味。
This is a little too big for me.
这对我来说有点太大了。
The portion size is a little large.
份量有点大。
I would probably eat half of one of these, but this is a Nanaimo Bar.
我可能会吃掉半个,但这是纳奈莫棒。
You should look up the recipe and maybe make one at home and see what it tastes like.
你应该查一下菜谱,也许自己在家做一个,看看味道怎么样。
So in Canada, we call these potato chips.
所以在加拿大,我们称之为薯片。
We don't call them crisps in Canada.
在加拿大我们不把它们称为薯片。
And we have some flavors that are a little bit unique.
我们的某些口味也有些独特。
We have Ketchup flavored and all dressed.
我们有番茄酱口味的,并且都调过味了。
Ketchup is obviously seasoned, so it tastes like ketchup.
番茄酱明显是调味的,所以吃起来就是番茄酱的味道。
There's no actual ketchup on it.
其实上面没有番茄酱。
It's more like ketchup powder that's on it.
它更像是上面有番茄酱粉。
And these are very crispy.
而且它们非常脆。
I do like these.
我确实喜欢这些。
These are all dressed.
这些都是穿好的。
All dressed simply means it's like a whole bunch of flavors mixed together so it looks like there's vinegar and pepper and onion and probably barbecue and a bunch of other things all put together.
全调味的意思是把各种味道混合在一起,看起来就像是把醋、胡椒、洋葱、可能还有烧烤和许多其他东西混合在一起。
They also taste that way because there's seasoning on them.
它们也有那样的味道,因为上面有调味料。
A normal potato chip is white, but as you can see, this one has seasoning powder put on it.
一般的薯片是白色的, 但是正如你所见,这个薯片上加了调味粉。
Also quite crispy and super yummy.
而且相当酥脆,超级美味。
I don't actually usually like these, but this particular kind is really good.
我通常实际上不喜欢这些,但这种真的很好。
All dress chips and ketchup chips.
全部都是调味薯片和番茄酱薯片。
Butter tarts are very common in Canada.
黄油馅饼在加拿大很常见。
Sometimes we make them at home, sometimes they're homemade.
有时我们在家做,有时是自制的。
Sometimes we buy them in a store.
有时我们会在商店购买它们。
I bought these in a store.
我在商店买的这些。
And a butter tart is basically butter and sugar and then a crust on the outside.
黄油馅饼基本上是由黄油和糖组成,外面还有一层脆皮。
I'll open this up and let you see.
我会打开它让你看看。
These are actually pecan butter tarts.
这些实际上是山核桃黄油馅饼。
So in the middle there's like this gooey, buttery, yummy, sugary mixture.
中间有这种粘糊糊的、黄油味的、美味的、含糖的混合物。
There's some pecans, because I like the pecan kind, and then kind of a mini pie crust.
有一些山核桃, 因为我喜欢山核桃,还有一种迷你馅饼皮。
Let me break it open so you can see what I mean.
让我把它打开,这样你就能明白我的意思了。
So you can see the center there is a little bit gooey.
所以你可以看到那里的中心有点粘稠。
Definitely sweet.
绝对甜蜜。
I think there's a lot of sugar in butter tarts.
我认为黄油馅饼里含有很多糖。
Mmm.
嗯。
Yeah.
是的。
I haven't had a butter tart for a long time.
我已经很久没有吃过黄油馅饼了。
These are really good.
这些确实很好。
I'm definitely going to finish this one later.
我稍后一定会完成这一件事。
I'm not going to eat all the snacks that I brought out for this lesson, but I am going to finish this butter tart later.
我不会把这节课带出来的零食都吃掉,但是这个黄油馅饼我会稍后吃完。
It's super yummy.
真的超级好吃。
And the pecans taste really good as well.
山核桃的味道也确实很好。
So this is a Coffee Crisp bar.
这是一块咖啡脆饼。
We would call this a chocolate bar in Canada.
在加拿大我们称之为巧克力棒。
And you can even see that it's sponsored by the NHL, the National Hockey League, that makes it extra Canadian.
你甚至还可以看到它是由国家冰球联盟 (NHL) 赞助的,这使得它更具加拿大特色。
It is a chocolate bar that is flavored with coffee.
这是一块带有咖啡味的巧克力棒。
If I show you the inside, there are wafers on the inside, a chocolate coating.
如果我给你看里面,里面有威化饼, 还有巧克力涂层。
Smells like coffee.
闻起来像咖啡。
It's crunchy.
它很脆。
It's a little crumbly.
它有点易碎。
There are some crumbs on the table, but this isn't one that I often buy.
桌子上有一些面包屑,但这不是我经常买的。
But in a pinch, I'll buy one.
但在紧急情况下,我会买一个。
Like, if they don't have the chocolate bar I like, I will sometimes buy a Coffee Crisp.
比如,如果他们没有我喜欢的巧克力棒,我有时会买一块咖啡脆饼。
So a chocolate bar that also tastes like coffee.
所以巧克力棒的味道也像咖啡。
So this is Canada Dry.
这就是加拿大干酒。
This is soda.
这是苏打水。
We call it pop in my part of Canada, and it's made with sugar and carbonated water, and it's fizzy.
在我所在的加拿大地区, 我们把它叫做汽水,它是由糖和碳酸水制成的, 而且有气泡。
It didn't go kah-chzzz when I opened it, though, because I already had some.
但当我打开它时它并没有发出咔嚓的声音,因为我已经有一些了。
I've been getting thirsty because of all the snacks that I've been eating, but it's definitely fizzy.
由于吃了太多零食,我感到口渴,但它确实是碳酸饮料。
You can taste the fizz in it and it's definitely sweet.
你可以尝到其中的嘶嘶声,而且味道绝对甜美。
So Canada Dry, invented in Canada. I think...
所以加拿大干型啤酒是在加拿大发明的。我认为……
I think ginger ale was invented somewhere else, but I think the dry version of ginger ale was invented in Canada.
我认为姜汁汽水是在其他地方发明的,但我认为干姜汁汽水是在加拿大发明的。
And this is really, really popular, by the way, even though it's ginger ale, there's no alcohol in it.
顺便说一句, 这种饮料非常非常受欢迎,虽然它是姜汁汽水, 但里面不含酒精。
It's just a normal soda that anyone can drink.
这只是任何人都可以喝的普通苏打水。
So Canada Dry soda or pop made with ginger.
所以加拿大干苏打水或用姜制成的汽水。
So these are called Jos Louis.
因此这些被称为 Jos Louis。
This is a classic Canadian snack, at least in my part of Canada.
这是一种经典的加拿大小吃,至少在我居住的加拿大地区是如此。
I ate a lot of these growing up.
我小时候吃过很多这种东西。
These are really yummy, small chocolate cakes that have two layers of cake inside, a chocolate coating and a cream center.
这些小巧克力蛋糕真的很美味,里面有两层蛋糕,一层是巧克力涂层,中间是奶油。
Let me show you.
让我给你看一下。
I probably ate too many of these as a kid.
我小时候可能吃过太多这种东西了。
I definitely ate too many of them as a teenager.
我十几岁的时候确实吃过太多了。
But if I break it in half, you'll be able to see there is a nice white cream center, there's a nice filling, two layers of chocolate cake, and then a chocolate coating on the outside.
但如果我把它掰成两半,你就会看到中间有一层漂亮的白色奶油,里面有漂亮的馅料, 两层巧克力蛋糕,外面还有一层巧克力涂层。
These are really yummy.
这些真的非常美味。
I actually like eating them while drinking pop.
我其实喜欢一边喝汽水一边吃它们。
Mmm.
嗯。
That brings back memories.
这令我回想起往事。
When I worked as a construction worker in the summers between university, I would eat like two of these a day.
当我在大学期间的暑假当建筑工人时,我每天都会吃两个这个。
这些真的非常美味。
And when you drink it with fizzy pop afterwards, it makes your...
当您随后将它与碳酸饮料一起饮用时,它让您...
your mouth kind of goes fizzy.
你的嘴巴开始冒泡。
It's hard to explain. You'll have to try it.
这很难解释。你得尝试一下。
You'll have to find a Jos Louis somewhere and then a bottle of pop and eat one and drink some pop afterwards.
您必须在某个地方找到一瓶 Jos Louis,然后再找一瓶汽水, 吃一瓶, 再喝一些汽水。
Really yummy.
真好吃。
Sweet, chocolatey cake snack.
甜味的巧克力蛋糕小吃。
So these are maple cookies.
这些是枫糖饼干。
Maple cookies are made with maple syrup.
枫糖饼干是用枫糖浆制成的。
We have a lot of maple trees here in Canada.
加拿大有很多枫树。
So often you will find different products made with maple syrup.
因此,您经常会发现用枫糖浆制成的不同产品。
These are also shaped like a maple leaf.
它们的形状也像枫叶。
So you can see here, this is a little maple cookie.
所以你们可以在这里看到,这是一块小枫糖饼干。
It has a maple filling.
它有一个枫树馅。
Oh, I can already smell the maple flavor and they're quite crispy, yummy and sweet.
哦, 我已经闻到枫糖的味道了,它们非常脆, 美味又甜。
I don't actually like these, so I'm not going to take a bite.
我实际上不喜欢这些,所以我不会咬一口。
I know that sounds crazy, doesn't it?
我知道这听起来很疯狂,不是吗?
I'm Canadian and there's a cookie shaped like a maple leaf flavored with maple.
我是加拿大人,有一种形状像枫叶的饼干,有枫糖的味道。
And should I still take a bite?
我还应该吃一口吗?
Okay, let me take a bite.
好嘞,让我咬一口。
Crispy, very sweet.
酥脆,非常甜。
Strong maple flavor.
浓郁的枫香味。
I guess they're not too bad, but they're not my cup of tea.
我想它们还不错,但它们不是我的菜。
It's not the thing that I would eat.
这不是我会吃的东西。
If there was a plate of chocolate chip cookies and a plate of maple cookies, I would eat the chocolate chip cookies for sure.
如果有一盘巧克力饼干和一盘枫糖饼干,我肯定会吃巧克力饼干。
But little cookies flavored with maple, shaped like a maple leaf, kind of a true symbol of Canada.
但是这些小饼干有枫糖的味道, 形状像枫叶,是加拿大真正的象征。
So these are timbits.
这些是 timbits。
You buy them at a restaurant called Tim Hortons.
您可以在一家名为 Tim Hortons 的餐厅购买它们。
It's a very popular restaurant in Canada.
这是加拿大一家非常受欢迎的餐厅。
It's actually more like a cafe than a restaurant, although they do serve pizza now.
尽管他们现在确实供应披萨,但实际上它更像是一家咖啡馆而不是餐厅。
So I guess it's a little bit of both.
所以我想两者都有一点。
Cafe in the morning, restaurant in the afternoon and evening.
早上是咖啡馆,下午和晚上是餐厅。
Timbits are actually little bite sized donuts.
Timbits 实际上是一口大小的小甜甜圈。
I bought two kinds.
我买了两种。
I bought chocolate and sour cream glazed.
我买了巧克力和酸奶油釉面。
They are bite sized and in some places they might call them donut holes.
它们只有一口大小,有些地方称之为甜甜圈。
I don't think they're actually made from the part of the donut that they cut out.
我不认为它们实际上是由他们切下的甜甜圈部分制成的。
Maybe they are, but these are called timbits.
也许是,但是这些被称为 timbits。
They're really yummy.
它们确实很美味。
They're great for sharing.
它们非常适合分享。
Often if I'm going to buy donuts for a group of people, I will buy timbits because it's also nice because the portion size is very small.
通常,如果我要为一些朋友买甜甜圈,我会买 timbits,因为它的份量很小,所以很不错。
So if you don't want to eat a whole donut, you just eat a timbit.
因此,如果您不想吃掉一整个甜甜圈,就吃一小块。
Mmm.
嗯。
That is some chocolatey goodness. Mmm.
真是美味巧克力。嗯。
Yummy.
好吃。
Well, thank you so much for watching this English lesson.
好吧,非常感谢您观看这节英语课。
I hope you learned a few words along the way while I was snacking.
我希望你在我吃零食的时候学到了一些单词。
That will help you in your next English conversation.
这将有助于你在接下来的英语会话中。
And if you're worried that I'm going to eat all these snacks myself, don't worry.
如果您担心我会自己吃掉所有这些零食,请不要担心。
I still have children that live at home.
我还有孩子住在家里。
I'm sure they will be really happy when they get home from school to see all these snacks.
我确信当他们放学回家看到这些零食一定会很高兴。
Remember, if this is your first time here, don't forget to click that red subscribe button.
请记住, 如果这是您第一次来这里,请不要忘记单击红色的订阅按钮。
Give me a thumbs up.
给我点个赞吧。
If you enjoyed this lesson, leave a comment below.
如果您喜欢本课,请在下面发表评论。
And if you have some extra time and you want to learn more English, there's always more English lessons to watch. Bye.
如果你有空闲时间,并且想学更多英语,这里还有更多英语课程可以观看。 再见。
来源:英语东