摘要:It's Wednesday, May 14th, and we have made it halfway through the week, and that means it's YourWordWednesday.
Hello, Sunshine.
你好,Sunshine。
I'm Coy Wire.
我是科伊·怀尔。
Welcome to CNN 10.
欢迎收看CNN 10。
It's Wednesday, May 14th, and we have made it halfway through the week, and that means it's YourWordWednesday.
今天是5月14日星期三, 我们已经度过了本周的一半,这意味着今天是“你的词汇星期三” 。
So listen closely to see if your word helped us write today's show.
请仔细聆听,看看你的词汇是否帮助我们撰写了今天的节目。
We've got 10 minutes of news, brain-boosting news for you, and a bit of fun as well.
我们将为您带来10分钟的新闻,提升脑力的新闻,以及一些趣味内容。
Let's cook.
我们来做饭吧。
We begin today with the release of the last American hostage known to be alive in Gaza.
今天我们从最后一名已知仍活着的美国加沙人质获释的消息开始。
21-year-old New Jersey native Idan Alexander was handed over to the Red Cross by Hamas before crossing into Israel after being held in captivity for one and a half years.
21岁的美国新泽西州居民伊丹·亚历山大在被哈马斯扣押一年半后,已移交给红十字会,随后越境进入以色列。
He was soon reunited with his family.
他很快与家人团聚。
You can only imagine the despondency they must have felt while he was away.
你可以想象,在他离开期间,他们一定感到多么的绝望。
Alexander was serving in the Israeli military near the Gaza border when Hamas militants launched a surprise attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, sparking the current war in Gaza.
亚历山大当时正在加沙边境附近的以色列军队服役,2023年10月7日,哈马斯武装分子对以色列发动了突袭,引发了当前的加沙战争。
More than 250 people were taken hostage that day, including Alexander.
当天共有250多人被劫持为人质,亚历山大也在其中。
There are at least 20 hostages still being held in Gaza who are believed to be alive.
据信,至少还有20名被扣押在加沙的人质仍然活着。
Mr. President, sir.
总统先生。
All of the Israeli people are behind you.
所有以色列人民都支持你。
End this war.
结束这场战争。
Bring them all home.
全部带回家。
After several days of talks between Hamas and the U.S., the militant group announced it agreed to free Alexander, all in an effort to reach a ceasefire with Israel.
经过哈马斯与美国数日的谈判, 这个激进组织宣布同意释放亚历山大,以期与以色列达成停火协议。
10-second trivia.
10-第二个琐事
What is the most needed and most commonly transplanted organ worldwide?
全球最急需且最常移植的器官是什么?
Kidney, heart, lungs, or liver?
肾脏、心脏、肺脏还是肝脏?
Contestants committed to kidney, correct!
参赛者承诺捐赠肾脏,没错!
The organs responsible for filtering waste and water from our blood are the most needed and most commonly transplanted organ.
负责从血液中过滤废物和水分的器官是最需要且最常进行移植的器官。
People suffering from chronic kidney disease or end-stage renal disease can be candidates for a kidney transplant.
患有慢性肾病或终末期肾病的患者有可能成为肾脏移植的候选人。
Now some recent advancements in medicine that sound like science fiction, but they are very real.
现在让我们来了解一些听起来像是科幻小说,但实际上非常真实的医学最新进展。
Animal Farm, the latest doc by our doc, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, explores xenotransplantation, the practice of using animal organs for human transplant.
《动物农场》是我们的纪录片导演桑杰·古普塔博士的最新作品,该片探讨了异种器官移植这一实践,即利用动物器官进行人体移植。
More than 100,000 people are on the transplant wait list, and experts say this could transform modern medicine.
超过10万人正在器官移植等待名单上,专家表示, 这可能彻底改变现代医学。
Who better to talk to than our Dr. Sanjay Gupta?
还有谁能比我们的桑杰·古普塔博士更适合谈论这个问题呢?
And I know where we can find him.
我知道他在哪里。
Field trip.
实地考察。
All right, welcome to CNN Studio H here in Atlanta.
欢迎来到位于亚特兰大的CNN演播室H。
We're here to meet up with Dr. Sanjay Gupta.
我们在这里与桑杰·古普塔博士会面。
Good to see you, Doc.
很高兴见到你,医生。
Thanks for having me.
感谢邀请我。
Talking xenotransplantation using animal organs for human transplant.
讨论利用动物器官进行人类移植的异种器官移植技术。
I mean, this is the best job in the world, right?
我的意思是,这是世界上最好的工作,对吧?
Being a journalist, because you see things that nobody else gets to see.
作为一名记者,因为你能看到其他人无法看到的景象。
What you're looking at here, actually, is some of the technology to actually edit these pigs, genetically edit these pigs, to make them compatible.
你们在这里看到的,实际上是用于基因编辑这些猪的技术,以使它们变得适合移植。
These are the pigs.
这些就是那些猪。
These are the pigs that have been modified and made compatible for humans.
这些是经过基因改造、与人类相容的猪。
I got to meet Tim Andrews.
我有机会见到了蒂姆·安德鲁斯。
He's the only living person in the world with a xenotransplant, an animal organ, in his body.
他是世界上唯一一个体内植入了异种器官移植——动物器官——的活体。
Take a look.
请看。
We are, of course, being just extra careful and cautious and ensuring things are in the right direction.
我们当然会格外小心谨慎,确保一切朝着正确的方向发展。
And the little pig is right there so I can pat it.
小猪就在那儿,我可以拍拍它。
But today's visit is all about this moment.
但今天的来访完全是为了这一刻。
Observing this ultrasound, that is an ultrasound of a pig kidney inside Tim.
观察这份超声波图像,这是蒂姆体内的一只猪肾脏的超声波图像。
Something that very few people ever get to see.
一种极少有人能亲眼目睹的事物。
And it looks exactly like a human kidney, so.
它看起来完全像一个肾脏,所以。
And we see all the blood flow throughout, so.
我们可以看到血液在全身流动,所以……
Is there anything in there that makes it clear that it's a pig kidney?
里面有什么能明确表明这是猪肾吗?
No, exactly like a human one.
不,完全像人类的肾脏一样。
And not only does it look like one, eight weeks post-operatively, it's acting like one.
不仅如此,术后八周,它的表现也像一个正常的肾脏。
The level of kidney function is as good as we would expect from a human kidney transplant.
肾脏功能的水平与我们预期的人类肾脏移植效果一样好。
We just are amazed every day we look at that blood work.
我们每天看到那份血液检测报告时都感到惊讶不已。
That's awesome.
这太棒了。
Good stuff, isn't it?
好东西,对吧?
Very cool.
很酷。
Now tell me this, why pigs and not other animals?
那么告诉我,为什么选择猪而不是其他动物呢?
Yeah, so this is really interesting.
是的,这确实很有趣。
Some of it's just really practical.
其中一些真的很实用。
Pigs are about the same size as humans.
猪的体型和人类差不多。
Bigger pig for you than me, but still around that size.
对我来说太大了,但对你来说还是那个尺寸。
And so their organs are gonna be very similar to human organs, the kidney, the heart, whatever it might be.
因此,这些器官将非常类似于人体器官,无论是肾脏、心脏还是其他器官。
Second thing is, you know, pigs, their pregnancy lasts about three months, three weeks, three days.
第二件事是,你知道,猪的妊娠期大约是三个月、三周又三天。
It's a good little tidbit, pretty standard.
这是一个不错的细节,相当标准。
So fast pregnancy, they make a lot of piglets, so you can potentially get a lot of organs.
因此,母猪怀孕期短,能产下许多猪仔,这意味着潜在可获取的器官数量也相当可观。
And then as I just mentioned, they can be modified genetically to actually make them more compatible with humans.
正如我刚才提到的,它们可以通过基因改造,使其与人类更加兼容。
Finally, I'll tell you an interesting thing is that they're not as evolutionarily similar to humans.
最后,我要告诉你一个有趣的事实:它们在进化上与人类的相似度并不高。
And you might think that's a bad thing, but actually it's a good thing when it comes to transplant, because they're less likely to have viruses that can then go to humans as well.
你可能会认为这是件坏事,但实际上在器官移植方面, 这反而是件好事,因为它们不太可能携带能传染给人类的病毒。
So for all those reasons, pigs are a pretty good candidate.
由于这些原因,猪是一个相当不错的候选者。
That's fascinating.
真有意思
Now what does genetically edited mean and how do they do it?
那么,“基因编辑”是什么意思,他们又是如何做到的呢?
Yeah, this is this is a really important question.
是的,这是一个非常重要的问题。
First of all, okay, so let me show you this pig genome, which is basically your blueprint, human genome, they're actually not that different.
首先,好吧,让我给你们看看这个猪的基因组,基本上就是你们的蓝图, 人类基因组, 其实它们并没有那么不同。
That's the first thing to sort of keep in mind.
这是首先要记住的一点。
So for humans, you have basically these various base pairs, and you look at this, you get that over and over again, that is your genetic blueprint.
所以对于人类来说, 你基本上就是这些不同的碱基对,你看这些,一遍又一遍地看到这些, 这就是你的遗传蓝图。
Yours, mine, can be pretty similar.
你的,我的,可以非常相似。
Pigs are slightly different, and they might have one particular gene over here like this one, which is something that if you put that into a human, the human would instantly reject it.
猪的情况有点不同, 它们可能有一个特定的基因在这里,比如这个基因, 如果把这个基因放到人体内, 人体就会立刻排斥它。
So with editing, what you can do is you can get rid of things like this, and you can also take human genes and actually transport them over to the pig to make them more compatible.
通过基因编辑, 你可以消除类似的问题,还可以将人类基因转移到猪体内, 使其器官与人体更加兼容。
So what I've just described there is something known as CRISPR.
我刚才描述的是一种名为CRISPR的技术。
It's a Nobel Prize winning technology, but that makes pigs more compatible with humans.
这是一种诺贝尔奖获奖技术,但它使得猪与人类的兼容性更高。
That is incredible stuff.
真是令人难以置信的事情。
Thank you for taking a very complex and evolving subject and breaking it all down for us, as only you can do.
感谢您将一个复杂且不断发展的主题分解开来,以您独有的方式为我们详细解读。
Be sure to tune into Doc's full report, Dr. Sanjay Gupta's Animal Farm, airing Sunday night at 8 Eastern only on CNN.
一定要收看桑杰·古普塔博士的完整报道《动物农场》,这部节目仅在CNN周日晚上8点东部时间播出。
Now, another thing you can do is help inspire us.
现在,你还可以通过帮助我们激发灵感来参与其中。
With graduation just around the corner, Doc, I know you've given a lot of commencement speeches in your day, Harvard, Baylor, even at your alma mater, University of Michigan.
毕业典礼就在眼前, 博士,我知道你一生中发表过许多次毕业演讲,包括在哈佛、贝勒甚至你的母校密歇根大学。
What's one bit of advice that you have for all our seniors out there who are getting ready to walk that graduation stage?
对于即将走上毕业舞台的所有高年级学生们,你有什么建议吗?
And I have kids that are in that time period of their lives as well.
我也有孩子正处于他们生命中的那个阶段。
I would say two things.
我会说两点。
First of all, It's going to be okay.
首先,一切都会好起来的。
I know sometimes that's hard to appreciate in the moment, but it's going to be okay.
我知道有时候在那一刻很难体会到这一点,但一切都会好起来的。
Take it from guys like us.
听听我们这些人的经验吧。
But second of all, do something that scares you every day.
但其次,每天做一件让你害怕的事情。
Get you outside of your comfort zone.
让你走出舒适圈。
That'll make you more willing to try new things.
这会让你更愿意尝试新事物。
And this is the time in your life to try and do that.
而这正是你人生中尝试去做这件事的时候。
I love that.
我喜欢那个。
And he practices what he preaches, so I know it to be true.
他身体力行,所以我相信这是真的。
Now, for those of you who don't know, Doc is a graduate of the University of Michigan.
现在,对于那些不知道的人来说,Doc是密歇根大学的毕业生。
And in addition to being our chief medical correspondent, he's also currently a practicing brain surgeon at Emory University.
除了担任我们的首席医疗记者外,他目前还是埃默里大学的一名执业脑外科医生。
And Emory just had their graduation ceremony for the class of 2025.
埃默里大学刚刚为2025届学生举行了毕业典礼。
They ushered in a very special commencement speaker.
他们迎来了一位非常特别的毕业典礼演讲嘉宾。
Usher, the eight-time Grammy-winning singer-songwriter, delivered a moving speech encouraging grads to dream big, work hard, and do what they love.
八次格莱美奖得主歌手兼词曲作者尤瑟尔发表了一篇感人演讲,鼓励毕业生们心怀大志, 努力工作, 做自己热爱的事情。
He also reminded them in this day and age of social media that life's about a lot more than following others.
他还提醒他们,在这个社交媒体盛行的时代,生活远不止于追随他人。
Listen.
听着
This world doesn't need more followers.
这个世界不需要更多的追随者。
It needs fearless architects of our future.
它需要我们未来的无畏建筑师。
And that's exactly who you are.
你就是那个(人)。
Be a dreamer.
做个有梦想的人。
Never stop imagining.
永远不要停止想象。
Be better.
再好了
Fight for a better life, fight for a better world.
为更好的生活而奋斗,为更好的世界而奋斗。
The goal is beyond our reach, but we can reach as long as we try.
目标虽然遥不可及,但只要我们努力就能触及。
And furthermore, we will succeed because we do.
而且,我们会成功,因为我们确实做到了。
Today's story getting a 10 out of 10 goes to a bystander CPR skills that saved a teen's life.
今天获得满分10分的故事,是一位路人运用心肺复苏术挽救了一名青少年的生命。
15 year old Evan Tucker was out on the baseball field playing his favorite sport when the unthinkable happened.
15岁的埃文·塔克正在棒球场上打他最喜欢的运动,这时发生了难以想象的事情。
He collapsed, his heart no longer beating in a moment of cardiac arrest.
他突然倒下,心脏在心脏骤停的一瞬间停止了跳动。
That's when a stranger in the stands ran into the field and started CPR.
就在那时,看台上的一位陌生人冲进场地,开始进行心肺复苏。
You hear someone scream, is there a nurse out here?
你听到有人尖叫,这里有没有护士?
Yeah.
是的。
What, what are you?
你,你是什么人?
I'm a project manager.
我是项目经理。
You're not a nurse.
你不是护士。
I'm not a nurse.
我不是护士。
But you did know CPR.
但你确实懂得心肺复苏术。
I did.
我做了。
Where did you learn that?
你从哪儿学来的?
I learned CPR in high school when I was 17 and I've never had to use it in 40 years.
我在17岁上高中时学会了心肺复苏术,但在过去的40年里我从未用过它。
Johnnette Wilmot says she kept the CPR maneuver going for about eight minutes until an ambulance arrived, and it likely saved his life.
约翰内特·威尔莫特表示, 她持续进行心肺复苏术大约八分钟, 直到救护车到达,这很可能救了他的命。
Evan made it to the hospital.
埃文被送到了医院。
His health is improving, and as he began his long road to recovery, he got to meet the woman who saved him.
他的健康状况正在好转, 在开始漫长的康复之路时,他得以见到那位救命恩人。
It's a valuable reminder that what we learned today just might help us change someone's life in the future.
这是一个宝贵的提醒,今天所学到的知识未来可能会帮助我们改变某个人的命运。
All right, we want to give a big congrats to Miss Bauer at St. Margaret Mary Catholic School in Slidell, Louisiana for submitting our word of the day.
好的,我们要向路易斯安那州斯莱德尔圣玛格丽特玛丽天主学校的大卫·鲍尔老师提交今日词汇表示热烈祝贺。
Despondency, a noun meaning a state of low spirits caused by loss of hope or courage.
绝望,指因失去希望或勇气而导致情绪低落的状态。
Well done.
干得好
Thank you for making us smarter today.
感谢你今天让我们变得更聪明。
And our shout out today, a good one, going to... Pace Program at Midland Care Connection in Lawrence, Kansas.
今天的特别鸣谢,要献给位于堪萨斯州劳伦斯市的Midland Care Connection的Pace项目。
We appreciate you tuning in every day and proving it's important to stay informed.
感谢您每天收看节目,这证明了获取信息的重要性。
It's a lifelong practice.
这是一种终身实践。
Rise up.
隮。
Thank you for all submitting those shout-out requests on our CNN 10 YouTube page and spending part of your day with us.
感谢大家在CNN 10的YouTube页面上提交的留言请求,并抽出时间与我们共度时光。
Have an awesome one.
祝你有个美好的一天。
I'll see you right back here tomorrow on CNN 10.
明天同一时间,CNN 10与您不见不散。
来源:英语东