摘要:上周末晚些时候,一场 EF-3 级龙卷风袭击了圣路易斯地区,造成数千栋建筑损毁,而威力更强的 EF-4 级龙卷风则横扫肯塔基州南部。
It's a wet and rainy day in Geneva, but Science in 5 crew is very determined.
大家好,欢迎收看 CNN 10。
It's an all-women crew today.
我是艾莉森·钦查尔,今天临时代替科伊主持节目。
So come rain and shine, we are going to shoot this.
他目前正在西海岸为今年夏天晚些时候的特别节目拍摄素材。
We're gonna talk about concussion today.
所以如果你今天在新墨西哥州的拉斯克鲁塞斯,说不定能看见他锃亮的光头在城里晃悠。
If you have children who play sports or you play sports, you need to know about concussion.
我很高兴今天能和大家一起。
What is it?
我们为大家准备了精彩的节目。
How will you know if you have concussion?
话不多说,马上开始吧。
And what can you do to prevent it?
今天我们首先关注上周肆虐美国大片地区的强风暴,致使多地报告数十起龙卷风袭击。
And here to talk about it today is Dr. Tarun Dua.
上周末晚些时候,一场 EF-3 级龙卷风袭击了圣路易斯地区,造成数千栋建筑损毁,而威力更强的 EF-4 级龙卷风则横扫肯塔基州南部。
Welcome, Tarun.
国家气象局官员表示,这是该地区有史以来最致命的龙卷风,其中肯塔基州伦敦市受灾尤为严重。
Hi.
此外,周日夜间,另一场风暴袭击了堪萨斯州、俄克拉荷马州和科罗拉多州部分地区,民宅严重受损,道路被阻断,汽车被掀翻。
Tarun, talk to us about what is concussion.
这场风暴的威力之大,甚至能把半挂卡车抛到堪萨斯州的农田里。
So concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury.
一场强大的EF1级龙卷风席卷内布拉斯加州,摧毁了房屋,掀倒了树木。
So if you have a bump, blow to the head, or even to the body, what it happens is the forces can lead to your brain moving and bouncing around, leading to damage to brain cells.
我们躲进了浴缸,用枕头和毯子盖住,我整个人趴在女儿身上,这样就算有东西砸下来,也是先砸到我而不是她。
And any activity can cause concussion.
听起来就像火车的声音,风特别大,还能听到东西不断砸到房子上的声响。
So for example, you fall in this wet rain field, or you are playing sports like football.
随着这种恶劣天气模式的持续,本周早些时候,更多龙卷风接连来袭,重创堪萨斯州小城普莱夫纳的民宅和供电线路。
It also happens during road traffic accident.
值得庆幸的是,当地没有人受伤。
For example, in Australia, one in five people who presented to the hospital with concussion, they had it while playing sports.
随着恶劣天气系统向东移动,密西西比河、俄亥俄河和田纳西河流域部分地区数百万人在尚未清理完上一轮风暴残骸的情况下,又不得不为新一轮风暴做好准备。
So we've just established that these are pretty perfect conditions for concussion that we are filming in.
在这种风力下,置身于大量残骸周围实在太危险了。
Uh, but actually, I fell down a little while ago, and I was wondering if I had concussions.
更东部的阿拉巴马州部分地区也已出现龙卷风着陆。
I didn't know what the symptoms would be.
现在我们去气象中心,看看像我们气象工作者是如何监测这类风暴形成的。
Can you talk about that?
这是雷达上风暴的二维图像。
So concussion is not something that you will see outside.
但在气象工作者眼中,这分明就是龙卷风。
And the other thing is it's not that symptoms are going to happen immediately.
那么气象学家到底看到了什么呢?
They can actually also happen up to 72 hours after the injury.
我们来仔细分析。
So common symptoms are you will have headache or pressure sensation, nausea, feeling dizzy, loss of balance, memory, unable to focus, sleep problems.
这里的黄色和绿色区域是风暴中的强降雨区。
So these are very common problems.
红色区域则是冰雹核心区。
Then sometimes you have severe symptoms, like convulsions.
然后最下面那个紫色的圈,就是龙卷风即将形成的位置。
You can have a loss of consciousness or weakness or numbness.
气象学家通常称之为“钩状回波”,因为它最终会呈现钩状形态。
And that means you need to... in any case, you need to go immediately to get any help.
但这并非我们研判的全部依据。
So did you have any of those symptoms, VishMITa?
我们还得看看风暴内部的气流状况。
Well no, I think I felt a little bit of brain fog, or a little bit of confusion, which is what worried me.
试想这根旗杆位于风暴内部,旗帜一直延伸到云层顶端。
But also, it's about sometimes when you take a fall, it ...
关键在于,随着高度的上升,风向会发生变化,这自然就形成了产生漏斗云甚至龙卷风所需的旋转动力。
You also have not really talked about the fact that as you age, you need to work on your balance better and stuff like that.
现在我们来观察一下风暴的底部。
So talk to us also about the prevention of concussion.
你能看到这里有非常温暖的气流,暖空气涌入风暴并上升,因为暖空气就是这样的特性。
There are many things all of us can do.
它会上升。
So for example, riding a bicycle, wear a helmet.
但同时,你也能看到冷空气从云层顶部下沉,一直落到风暴底部。
Home environment, make sure that your carpets, cables are not interrupting.
这两者共同作用,在风暴外围区域形成了风切变,而这正是产生强烈龙卷风的关键因素。
And especially for older people, they are very important that we make our homes friendly and fall-free as much as possible.
那么,如果龙卷风已经在地面上待了一小段时间呢?
Playing contact sports, ensure that you are wearing protective equipment, you are aware of your surroundings, "I'm looking around.
这时候就会出现这种东西——残骸云,这实质上是龙卷风卷起的所有物体的集合。
The ball is not going to come and hit me." And don't take unnecessary risks.
包括灰尘到树木,再到房子,都有可能。
This is especially true for young people.
龙卷风几乎可以在任何地方发生,所以了解三种暴风关键警报之间的区别非常重要。
So these are many things that we can do to prevent concussion.
它们是龙卷风预警、龙卷风警报和龙卷风紧急警报。
Talk about the treatment of concussion.
国家气象局想出了一个很巧妙的比喻来帮助我们记忆:墨西哥卷饼。
Sometimes you hear that, "Oh, it's okay.
所以,墨西哥卷饼预警就像我们备齐了所有食材但还没开始组装卷饼。
It will just go away." Is that true, for instance?
简单来说,我们有了龙卷风形成的所有条件,它们都具备了,但你要确保自己了解应急计划,并且能在卷饼做好时随时前往安全地点。
One of the things about concussion is not everybody's aware about it, and so very often, it goes undetected.
然后是墨西哥卷饼警报。
People don't know, and they don't go to seek medical help.
这意味着卷饼已经做好了,换句话说,龙卷风已经被气象雷达观察到或者探测到,危险迫在眉睫。
So it's very important that if you have had a fall, just ensure that you seek medical help.
这时你要转移到坚固建筑的最低层的内室,并避开所有窗户。
Go and show to the doctor.
此外,活动房屋里的人应该安全转移到更坚固的避难所。
That evaluation is extremely important.
第三级也是最高级别的警报是龙卷风紧急警报。
And the second is that you need to take rest, both physical and mental, because it will help you recover quickly.
这里不需要用卷饼打比方,但这种警报仅用于罕见情况。
And the third thing that you need to do is avoid repeat injuries, avoid repeat concussion, because we know repeat concussions can lead to long-term damage, including dementia.
当确认出现强烈的、对生命和财产构成重大威胁的龙卷风时,就会发布这种警报,这意味着你要立即寻找避难所,最好是地下掩体。
Okay, that sounds very scary, especially because the senior citizens will also experience sometimes increased falls, and that can actually contribute to dementia, you said, right?
10秒冷知识。
Right.
现在,哪个国家的机器人劳工密度最高?
Talk to us about something, some other long-term impacts of a concussion.
日本、中国、德国,还是韩国?
You can have long-term memory problems.
答案是韩国,目前韩国制造业中每1万名员工就有超过1000台工业机器人。
You can have long-term sleep problems.
麻省理工学院(MIT)的工程师们最新发明了一款只有无线耳机大小的微型机器人。
It can impact your education, learning, and thinking about the young people.
它有点像昆虫,通过跳跃移动,重量比回形针还轻,采用弹簧驱动腿和四片扑翼设计。
And also, especially if you are thinking about sports, because you know, you're getting it in young age, we are worried about the risk of neurocognitive issues, such as dementia.
来看看它是怎么工作的。
We're going to wrap up, but give our audience a few tips for how to avoid concussion.
这个被动的弹簧腿就像一个迷你弹跳杆,能确保机器人从地面高效反弹。
Important is that wear a protective equipment, be you are riding a bicycle, you are playing a sport, when you are in your home, just ensure that you are keeping your carpets, your cables so that you are not falling down on any of those surfaces, and be aware of your surroundings.
另一方面,扑翼模块可以确保机器人保持直立,从而保持稳定。
Thank you, Tarun.
那么,为什么世界需要这么小的机器人呢?
That was Science in 5 today from a wet and rainy Geneva.
研发人员表示,这种机器人可以在搜索和救援行动中发挥作用,因为它能够进入狭小空间,并且可以应对复杂地形。
Until next time then, stay safe, stay healthy, and stick with science.
官方消息。
来源:英语东